Why You Should Grow Your Own Mushrooms
If you're looking for a unique and fun way to grow your own food, then at-home mushroom growing could be perfect for you! That's because there are lots of different types of mushrooms that you can choose from to grow at home, and it's easy to get started. Here's why you should start growing your own mushrooms.
Unique Varieties of Mushrooms are AvailableThere are many different types of mushrooms that you can grow at home, including shiitake mushrooms, white button mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, and chanterelles. Not only do these mushrooms offer a unique flavor and texture, but they're also quite easy to grow. Here's what you need to know about each of these commonly grown varieties:
- Chanterelles: Chanterelles go great in salads, and they feature a unique texture and a mild flavor. These are shelf mushrooms, which can be grown easily on many different types of logs.
- White button mushrooms: White button mushrooms are commonly sold in supermarkets, which are commonly used in salads. However, they also go great with burgers. Growing these mushrooms is typically fairly easy.
- Oyster mushrooms: Oyster mushrooms are shelf mushrooms, which can be grown on many different types of logs. They are great in salads, but they can also be fried.
- Chicken of the Woods mushrooms: Chicken of the Woods mushrooms are quite unique in their flavor. In fact, they really do taste a lot like chicken! This makes them a great option for vegans and vegetarians who want to enjoy something that mimics the flavor of chicken.
- Morel mushrooms: Morel mushrooms have a delicious, unique, and very strong flavor. This makes them extremely popular among mushroom lovers.
There Are Lots of Delicious Meals You Can Make With ThemIf you're looking for recipes that include mushrooms, there are lots of options that you can choose from. While there are numerous recipes that you can choose from, these are a few of the most common and easy to cook mushroom dishes:
- Shiitake mushroom burgers: Shiitake mushroom burgers offer a great way to enjoy the meaty taste of a burger without eating meat. Not only that, but shiitake mushrooms are very easy to grow.
- Fried oyster mushrooms: Oyster mushrooms are similar in size and shape as shiitake mushrooms, but they have a stronger earthy taste, though they can be delicious when fried. They make an excellent side dish for burgers and steaks.
- Mushrooms and onions: Mushroom and onion dishes go great with steaks and burgers. Not only are they an excellent side dish, but almost all edible mushrooms pair quite nicely with onions.
You Can Enjoy Your Homegrown Mushrooms AnytimeIf you're wondering when the best time to eat homegrown mushrooms is, you can rest assured that there are plenty of delicious mushroom dishes that you can enjoy anytime. This is one great reason to start growing your own mushrooms.
October 18, 2021